900 Wayne Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910
View on Google Maps
Gandhi Brigade Youth Media is a nonprofit organization that prepares youth to become leaders through the use of digital media. We operate our free after school programs at libraries, middle school and high schools across Montgomery County.
Our goals include:
• Training middle and high school students in videography, digital editing, digital music creation, and
• Engaging participants in a process of building leadership and advocacy skills as they create digital media
that challenges injustice.
• Expanding programming to other underserved individuals, such as seniors and girls and create new
opportunities by partnering with other organizations.
Our programs and activities include working with youth to organize an annual Montgomery County Youth Media Festival as well as produce documentaries, public service announcements and graphic design
campaigns on civic issues as described below:
- The Promoters program, our core program, provides participants interested in media and leadership training to develop media skills along with critical thinking and communications skills.
- Documentary of Conscience in Summer (DOCS) is a summer program for the participants of our Promoters program, during which they conceive, plan and produce a documentary on a newsworthy and topical issue.
- The Montgomery County Youth Media Festival showcases the best media arts produced by middle and high school students living in Montgomery County. Finalists have their work shown on the big screen of AFI in downtown Silver Spring.
- The Youth Employment Opportunities program affords us the opportunity to prepare our youth for their futures through real-life work opportunities and professional development. Under the leadership of our staff, Gandhi Brigade youth assist in the creation of professional media products, giving them with a stipend and hands on experience.