AFI Silver Theatre & Cultural Center
Categories: Arts Organizations Cinema Performance Space Art & Entertainment For Children Attractions
8633 Colesville Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Created by the citizens of Montgomery County, Maryland, the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center is dedicated to artists, educators and audiences of the world.
The AFI Silver will present the richness of American and world cinema, exploring all forms of the moving image in the digital era and seeing the screen itself as a source of literacy, learning and vision for the future.
AFI is America's preeminent arts organization dedicated to advancing and preserving the art of film, television, digital media and other forms of the moving image.
Increasingly, our notions about history, human relationships, scientific exploration, psychology and art are influenced by watching movies. The AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center examines this phenomenon by presenting an unprecedented variety of film and video programming, augmented by filmmaker interviews, panels, discussions, musical performances and other events that place the art on-screen in a broader cultural context, while amplifying its power to engage and affect an audience.
The AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center is a state-of-the-art moving image exhibition, education and cultural center. Anchored by the restoration of noted architect John Eberson's historic 1938 Silver Theatre, it also features 32,000 square feet of new construction housing two stadium theatres, office and meeting space, and reception and exhibit areas.
The exceptional technical facilities of the AFI Silver include film formats from 16 to 70mm, high-definition digital cinema video projection, broadcast quality video recording and distance learning capabilities via satellite, fiber and the Internet. Whether it's silent film at the proper frame rate with live musical accompaniment, 70mm wide screen spectaculars or digital cinema, the AFI Silver will offer state-of-the-art technology in each of its three theatres - with seating for 400, 200 and 75, respectively - as well as in its world-class conference room, all available to rent.
Nearby Arts & Entertainment
- GBYM900 Wayne Ave (60 feet NE)
- Round House Theatre Offices1 Veterans Place (64 feet NE)
- The Record Exchange8642 Colesville Rd (125 feet NW)
- Lumina Studio Theatre8461 Colesville Rd (179 feet SW)
Nearby Restaurants & Dining
- Panera Bread8541 Georgia Ave (150 feet SW)
- La Malinche Restaurant8622 Colesville Rd (187 feet W)
- Koite Grill8626 Colesville Road (195 feet NW)
- Kao Thai8650 Colesville Rd (197 feet NW)
Nearby Parking Garages
- Town Square Garage (Garage 61)801 Ellsworth Dr (528 feet NE)
- Wayne Avenue Garage (Garage 60)921 Wayne Ave (603 feet SE)
- Spring Cameron Garage (Garage 2)8700 Cameron St (846 feet NW)
- Cameron Street Garage (Garage 7)8530 Cameron St (1018 feet W)