1155 Ripley St
Silver Spring, MD 20910
William Cochrane, artist
Two Roads pays tribute to pioneering environmentalist Rachel Carson, who altered our perceptions of nature. A open air glass room materializes and dissolves within an urban meadow. Indigenous plantings and paving weave in and out of a light steel structure holding semi-mirrored glass panels with engraved text passages, standing like the pages of an unfinished book. Some bays are open and frame the landscape surrounding and growing into the plaza.
The engraved text is drawn from Carson's writings on the environment. Two powerful passages are highlighted in overlapping dichroic glass letters that float within the primary panels, where they appear and vanish as the viewer moves through the space, sometimes breaking the light into its spectral components.
The room of transparent mirrors reflects the viewer, the trees and surrounding buildings, rearranging them as the perspective of the viewer and the light changes. In this fluid overlapping of natural and architectural elements in the glass, the viewer's image is the only constant, reflecting Carson’s call to personal responsibility for the environment.
The studio collaborated closely with the landscape architecture firm Oculus on the design of this artwork. Oculus also designed the urban meadow that surrounds the work.
Nearby Arts & Entertainment
- Neo Indigenous8407 Ramsey Ave (479 feet NW)
- Joe's Record Paradise8700 Georgia Ave (550 feet SE)
- Coastline1301 East-West Hwy (591 feet SW)
- Park Bench and the Bicyclist1010 Wayne Ave (619 feet NE)
Nearby Restaurants & Dining
- Spice Street8242 Georgia Ave (418 feet E)
- Astro Lab Brewing8216 Georgia Ave (461 feet SE)
- Velatis Caramels8408 Georgia Ave (569 feet NE)
- Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant8301 Georgia Ave (570 feet E)
Nearby Parking Garages
- Bonifant-Dixon (Garage 5/55)1101 Bonifant St (330 feet N)
- NOAA Building Garage (Garage 58)1315 East-West Hwy (598 feet W)
- Thayer-Silver Spring Garage (Garage 3)913 Silver Spring Ave (940 feet SE)
- Fenton Street Village (Garage 4)8110 Fenton St (0.2 miles SE)